International students who enrol for the first time in the Università degli Studi di Genova must sit an Italian assessment test (taking place in September and October). The level required is the B2 of the CEFR (only in same cases the level needed must be higher). If you are a Marco Polo student, for you the level requested is the B1. If you are going to enrol in one of the Master's degree courses belonging to the Foreign Languages Department you need to reach the C1 level.
The test includes cloze questions on syntactic-grammatical topics and the difficulty of the questions is progressive (for further details on the topics please refer to the Syllabus). The test includes also an reading and comprehension exercise as well as a writing.
The test and how to enrol
If you fail the Italian assessment test, you will get an OFA (Obbligo Formativo Aggiuntivo) which means that you have to attend a free and compulsory course given by lecturers specialised in teaching Italian as a foreign language.
You will be put in a 40 or 80 or 120-hour-course depending on the result of your test.
At the end of the course, you can retake the test once again to verify if you reached the level required by the University. If you pass the test, the educational deficit will be settled and cancelled. If you do not pass the test after the first year, you will not be able to fill in the study plan of your second year.
- Friday 2nd September 2022: only for the students enrolled for the first time in a.y. 2022/2023 in Degree courses whose access is subject to an admission test and who do not live in Italy.
- Friday 23rdh September 2022: only for all the students enrolled for the first time in a.y. 2022/2023.
- Friday 14th October 2021: only for the students enrolled in previous academic years who still have this subject pending. This session will be the last one useful to fill in second year's study plan for a.y. 2022/23.
- Friday 28th October 2022: only for all the students enrolled for the first time in a.y. 2021/2022 who did not sit for one of the previous tests.
- Friday 25th November 2022: only for all the students enrolled for the first time in a.y. 2021/2022 who did not sit for one of the previous tests.
Courses and timetables Academic Year 2022/2023
The Italian courses for International students who enrolled for the first time in the Università degli Studi di Genova will presumably start in October and are reserved for those students who have completed their enrollment at Università di Genova.
The Italian courses timetables will presumably be indicated at the end of September.
If you are a PhD foreign student or a foreign student enrolled in one of our Master's degree course held in English, please go to this section.